- 1 Overview
- 2 What is Eustachian Tube Dysfunction?
- 3 Symptoms:
- 4 Causes:
- 5 Home Remedies:
- 6 Treatments:
- 6.1 1. Use of Neti-pot:
- 6.2 2. Gingko:
- 6.3 3. Zinc and B12 supplements:
- 6.4 4. Apple Cider Vinegar:
- 6.5 5. Oil Pulling and Garlic Oil:
- 6.6 6. Use of Mullein:
- 6.7 7. Hydrotherapy:
- 6.8 8. Peppermint Essential Oil and Menthol Vapour Rub:
- 6.9 9. Cayenne Gargle and Steam Inhalation:
- 6.10 10. Drink Fluid and Heal Other infections:
- 6.11 11. Valsalva Maneuver
- 6.12 12. OTC options
- 6.13 13. Using Candle Wax
- 7 Facts about Eustachian Tube Dysfunction:
Many people are suffering from Eustachian Tube Dysfunction Tinnitus worldwide. This disease is not dangerous if it treated in an earlier stage, but after six months it is crucial. So the best way is prevention.
What is Eustachian Tube Dysfunction?
The Eustachian tube is a tiny passage that connects the upper portion of our throat to our middle ears. The motive of our Eustachian tubes is to maintain the pressure in our middle ear.
When we yawn, sneeze or swallow, our Eustachian tubes are supposed to open to allow air to flow in and out. But occasionally one, or both of our Eustachian tubes might get worked. It is called Eustachian tube dysfunction tinnitus
Also Read: Sinus Pressure Points
People with some Eustachian tube dysfunction tinnitus may experience signs and symptoms of:
- Occasional poor balance: While walking you may feel that your balance is not appropriate. It might happen because of Eustachian Tube Dysfunction Tinnitus.
- Intermittent ear fullness
- Mild hearing loss (an attenuation of sound)
- Ear popping or cracking
- Mild hearing loss (an attenuation of continues)
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Glue ear
- Altitude changes
There are few home remedies available of which we will discuss here:
1. Use of Neti-pot:
- If you have a Neti-pot, then use it to reduce the effect of Eustachian tube dysfunction tinnitus.
- Angle your head in such direction so that the warm salt water is going into your nostril and comes out your mouth. By this way, it passes right over the opening of the Eustachian tube.
- Instantly after the water starts to come out of your mouth, while the opening to your Eustachian tube is still saturated with water, “pop” your ear by closing your nose and blowing.
- When you are done this, as some of the water goes into your Eustachian tube when you pop your ear, you will hear a screeching sound.
- Repeat this few times and more water will go in it. Then let it come out. You can touch your toes few times, move your head around to help the drainage.
- It will be beneficial to clean out your Eustachian tube. It has an immediate effect on tinnitus which is caused by Eustachian tube issues.
- Gingko Biloba is herbal medicines. It enhances blood flow to the edges of the body, mainly to the head and brain. If your tinnitus is due to cardiovascular problems, Gingko is likely to help. Otherwise, it will just improve your memory.
- Take 240 mg of a standardized Gingko in the form of a capsule daily but divide it into doses. The product should claim to contain 24% or gingko heterosides or ginkgolides.
- You will notice that your thinking is sharper within 6 to 10 days. But relief from tinnitus will take longer period; about six weeks. Once you feel relief, you can lower the dose to 40-60 per day.
Also Read: Sinus Pressure and Dizziness without Congestion
3. Zinc and B12 supplements:
- Zinc, ideally found in the picolinate form. Daily 90-150 mg for 3-6 months may help, especially if zinc is low in your body. If zinc pills taste bitter, then you are not zinc deficient.
- If zinc seems to have little or no taste, you are zinc deficient. Studies on zinc indicate that zinc is helpful in age-related tinnitus and hearing loss.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency has been reported to in people who exposed to loud sounds, and who have developed occupational Eustachian tube dysfunction tinnitus and hearing loss. Intramuscular injections of B12 of 1000 mcg per week reduced tinnitus severity.
- It is only available with the doctor. You may find a doctor who will show you to do this at home, and give you a prescription for the syringes and inject able. You can use vitamin B12 pills also.
Before you try these Eustachian tube dysfunction tinnitus remedy first check the symptoms of it.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Raw and organic apple cider vinegar works best as Eustachian tube dysfunction natural treatment. Take it as a tonic, and it internally helps to relieve blocked Eustachian tubes, especially if they are blocked due to allergies. Add two tsp of raw apple cider vinegar into a glass of water and drink it on a daily basis.
5. Oil Pulling and Garlic Oil:
Oil pulling is helpful as Eustachian tube dysfunction natural treatment. You can use 2-3 teaspoons of sesame oil or virgin coconut oil. Roll it in all around the mouth for 10-20 minutes and then spit oil into sink or trash can. Do it once or twice a day.
Garlic oil has potent anti-bacterial and anti-inflammation properties. You can use several garlic drops inside the ear. Another way is you can massage with it behind the ear. You can easily make Garlic oil by yourself, too.
6. Use of Mullein:
Mullein is a famous herb for its ability to thin fluids so that our body can eject them. Mullein leaf solution or tea will give the best result as Eustachian tube dysfunction natural treatment. Even, you can use Mullein oil for massaged behind the ear, too.
Hydrotherapy is another effective method of Eustachian tube dysfunction natural treatment. Using warm heating pad behind the ears can help to break up blocking and allow the tubes to drain. Soak a cloth in hot water and remove excess water from it. Hold it against the affected ear for 5 – 10 minutes. Repeat the same procedure after a few hours.
8. Peppermint Essential Oil and Menthol Vapour Rub:
Peppermint oil has anti-inflammation property, and hence it reduces inflammation and helps to open things up. Mix a 1-2 drop of peppermint essential oil with a teaspoon of olive oil or coconut oil and use this mixture in a massage, for the area behind the ear and down the neck. Repeat this procedure three times a day.
Menthol Vapor rubs also used in Eustachian Tube Dysfunction Natural Treatment and relieve ear congestion. Massage with vapour rub behind the ears several times a day. It will be beneficial to you.
9. Cayenne Gargle and Steam Inhalation:
Cayenne pepper helps in Eustachian tube dysfunction natural treatment. It supports fluids in the body to flow and open up congestion. Gargling with cayenne pepper may help the tubes to drain. Take 3 ounces of warm water and add ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper and gargle with this solution. Due to cayenne pepper, the fluid is spicy so use lip balm before gargling.
Also Read: Are Sinus infections Contagious Through Kissing
Boil 2 cups of water and add 1 tbsp. Of apple cider vinegar. Now cover your head and water cup and inhale steam through the mouth. It can help Eustachian tube dysfunction natural treatment.
10. Drink Fluid and Heal Other infections:
Stay hydrated with quality liquids and foods can help keep mucus thin and more comfortable to drain. It is another simple method of Eustachian tube dysfunction natural treatment. You can drink water, herbal tea, fruit juices, etc. Don’t consume caffeine and alcohol as they highly dehydrate your body.
Sometime Eustachian tubes are blocked because of a sinus infection, ear infection, sore throat or upper respiratory infection. First, treat these for relieving to the Eustachian tube dysfunction.
11. Valsalva Maneuver
First, pinch your nose and breathe in and then breathe out gently with a closed mouth. By this way, the air compressed into the Eustachian tube, and you may feel your ears go ‘pop.’ Do this step carefully as well as gently.
Boil a cup of water and cool it. Then take 10-20 ml of this water and add an equal amount of hydrogen peroxide. Mix it well. Fill this solution into an ear syringe and insert it into your ear while lying on one the side. Keep your head stay on the same side for around 30 seconds or till the hydrogen peroxide is poured out of your ears. Follow this method once a day.
12. OTC options
These options are recommended in case of infections that can cause discomfort to Eustachian tubes. It can be recovered with the help of allergy medication such as Benadryl, AllerTec, cetirizine Zyrtec and alleroff that can reduce the risk of infection.
Then, there are pain reliever options as well such as Advil, Tylenol and Motrin that can help in the alleviation of pain. However, you need to consult a doctor to fix a proper quantity.
It is possible that you are allergic to a few of the drugs so it is always better to get in touch with an expert to avoid any other side effects.
There are many other invasive treatment methods as well that is used by the experts for ETD. The most common implantation is PET – Pressure equalization tubes that help in keeping the air pressure in air stable. Also, it is used to avoid any sort of infections too.
It is also possible that if Eustachian tube is having trouble then you need to drain off the fluid present. To drain the fluid, it is essential to cut off the eardrum.
13. Using Candle Wax
The ancient method to avoid such an issue is using candle wax. However, it is not a safe option that is stated by the FDA – Food and Drug Administration. In addition to this, there is no evidence that can prove the effectiveness of candle wax for ear remedy.
There is no need for long-term complication for the ETD problem. It can be solved out in a few weeks, maximum two. However, if the allergies or infections are controlled than half of your problem will be under control.
Facts about Eustachian Tube Dysfunction:
- Caffeine makes tinnitus worse in many cases, especially in pulsatile tinnitus.
- Colloidal silver does not affect Eustachian tube dysfunction tinnitus
- Rife machines do not have any effect on Eustachian tube dysfunction tinnitus.
- Cannabis does not affect tinnitus; it may even make it more annoying temporarily.
We hope this article is useful to you. If you have any problem or doubt regarding Eustachian tube dysfunction tinnitus, please ask us without hesitation.